Tuesday 9 October 2012

Mish Fit: 4 Diet Derailers and what to do about them!


A week into my slim down undertaking and so far, everything seems to be on track. The cravings are minimal and I have only slipped up about four times. My commitment to regular workouts has been okay and hopefully I will do even better this week.

But you know life happens and gets in the way of all your good intentions. What causes you to blow your diet? I gave it some thought and listed 4 reasons why my healthy intentions were derailed after a couple of days worth of good practice.
Source image

The time-out
You have done so well, so now you decide to pig out for one night. After all you have worked really hard and earned your calorie splurge. This friends, is not wisdom. I have done this so many times.

Solution

Granted, you are allowed a break from your diet plan but the fact remains that you don’t have to go over board. A break once a week is enough. The only difference is that you can have a few more calories, so go for the fried chicken if you want but skip the chips and add a garden salad. Pick your day. Stick to your new portion sizes.

Source image


Your hips still lie
You have not lost an inch in spite of all the exercise and eating. What is causing this? You become despondent and later tonight, you end up sitting with the Coke in a mug (to hide the shame) and slice of comfort me pie.

Solution
You might just be in a rush and your goal might be a bit outrageous. Revisit your goals. Look at your exercise routine. Workout 3 times a week to start off with and try to create a deficit intake of the amount of calories you ingest. You need a deficit of at least a 1000 per week. Do more cardio, this is the workout that truly slims you down, no matter how much you hate sweating.


Source image

Laduma
You have shed that stubborn kilogram that makes a difference between a size 12 and 14 and you are elated! So, let’s celebrate this accomplishment with a slice of Death by calories, I mean chocolate… Stop it! Put down the spoon and back away from the plate.

Solution
When you have lost a crucial kilo and you should reward yourself. This will keep you motivated. BUT seeing as a diet plan is actually more of a lifestyle change, than just trying to fit into a smaller dress size, your reward should be apt. Opt for a great outdoor activity and soak up some vitamin D or go for a spa treatment.


Source image
Social butterfly
You get invited for pizza or to the launch of a new restaurant or as in my case… a book launch and you have been so good and now it is going to be spoilt by a series of unfortunate eating events. The easy thing to do is say no but sometimes you just can’t get out of the work events and or nights out with your friends. What do you do? Call in diet, in stead of sick?

Solution
This scenario derails even the most committed, resulting in you pushing your diet plans to the next week. Try to find out where you are meeting up with your friends. Check out the menu online. This will help you decide in advance on the healthier option and don’t be encouraged to get anything else than what you have settled on beforehand. In case of the finger foods at an event, eat two small plates and avoid a serviette. This can be misleading, causing you to eat more. Don't load up on the pastries either.

I hope you were able to identify with these scenarios. If you know what could derail your plans, you can counter with these simple solutions. Just try it for yourself, don't take my word for it!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Mish! I've been gymming 5 days a week since August (on weekends I do physical activities like walking and cleaning the house), and truth be told I actually picked up more weight because... da da daaaa... muscle weighs more than fat. So it's important to bear this in mind when you step onto the scale. The trick is to always check centimeters, not the scale! Keep a log of the values so you can track your progress.

    I've also adopted a Vegetarian diet - this forces me to think about my food and in so doing, I can consciously make healthier choices... Most of the time at social functions I can't eat anything besides the salad, which is a blessing in diguise! The only thing with Vegetarianism though is you may end up eating more pastas, breads and starches - that's okay, but maybe opt for the healthier versions every now and then - such as brown rice, brown pasta, low-gi breads, and so on. Every little bit helps!

    Also, I try not to deprive yourself continuously for too long. I actually have a treat every day - doesn't have to be fattening, there are so many yummy healthy snacks like nuts and yogurt - BUT if I do end up eating a chocolate or a packet of chips I just make it up by gymming extra hard the next morning, easy peasy - tht's the beauty of gymming every morning. And also, by treating myself everyday I don't feel that urge to over-indulge later. It really is a mind-thing!

    It also helps to use a side plate instead of a big dinner plate... growing up, my mom always told me to finish EVERYTHING on my plate, so has always been my mentality well into my adult years. My solution: to eat all my food off a side plate! Portion distortion I tell ya.

    And lastly my motto: "Eat to satisfy your hunger, not your greed!" - just some tips from a gal who is making a healthy lifestyle change <3

    Sjoe! That was a long comment :D

    RayRay
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Ray that was quite a reply but you are definitely spot on! Thanks for your comment! I have also encountered the weight gain while gyming and then I researched it and found that increasing your cardio helps you lose weight.

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Yesss! Cardio works... I personally don't like it but it neet to happen, lol :)

      Delete

About Me

My photo
I’m dash of photography, a pinch of book nerd, a hint of hiphop, 1 amateur chef, a generous helping of design and a health nut! Mix well and you get a Mishtery!