Wednesday 19 June 2013

Jo Malone makes scents to Mishtery!




Ah smell, the most underrated sense of the human body... Until you have encountered the heart-warming aroma of freshly baked bread, the crisp air after the rain or the scent of your partner’s scarf when you bury your nose in it to shield you from the cold. Fragrance is to the nose as heaven is to the Angels.

As a creative, I am invigorated by passionate people who inspire through their craft. After visiting The World of Jo Malone in the V&A Waterfront, I am certain that this is not just cologne, it is unadulterated art! Perfumery has always poked my interest, so this past Saturday my bff and blogger, Raylene of Diary of an Innocently Oblivious and Hapicup and I visited Jo Malone.

Jo Malone

Jo Malone is an undeniable brand if you are a perfume connoisseur. Jo Malone is a London brand! Straight out of the UK. Jo pushes the boundaries of making scents and experiments with unlikely ingredients such as Saffron and Lime Basil. What I love about Jo Malone is the freedom to create. Each one of her perfumes is ready to wear on its own and can be layered or used together in what she trademarked as The Art of Fragrance Combining.  I thought that you have to spend exorbitant amounts of money to be able to afford bespoke fragrance, but Jo Malone makes it possible to own my own signature fragrance. It is still pricey but I can build my bespoke scent over time and money. 


The Tasting Bar

The staff at Jo Malone will assist you in tailoring the perfect combination that will suit you and your body’s chemistry.  Jo believes layering different textures (such as crèmes, body oils and bath scents) of the scents that you like to forge a longer lasting scent. When I was treated to The Tasting Bar, the combining process was explained to me and scents were chosen according to my preference.

RememberA good cologne or perfume comprises of a top note or head note which you will smell right away, a middle note or heart note that carries the sent before the top note diffuses and a base note which you will smell after 30 minutes. I will do a follow up post that will explain  fragrances in depth.

My arms and hands were wiped down with a warm towel to open my pores and prep the skin. This is followed by the bath oil, Pomegranate Noir and the application of velvety body crème and the grand finale of Jasmine and Mint cologne sprayed onto my skin and followed by a cupped motion of the hands to blend the scents. 

What a wonderful experience! I still feel heady and overwhelmed by the luxury, quality of service and product that makes Jo Malone a pungent force in the world of fragrances. This is a service that is available to you at no cost upon request when you visit Jo Malone. Upon completion you will be given a chart with a fragrance arc and the assistant will record the combination for you to keep. I recommend you try the Tasting bar! You will love it. Don’t take my word for it though, try it for yourself.



A special thank you to Raylene of Diary of an Innocently Oblivious and Hapicup for being my photographer for the day and to the Glamour Gloss Girls at Topshop SA for beautiful blue manicure!

The rest of the photos are on my Facebook page, A Bunch of Mish-takes, if you want to see more! :)

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Mish! Great post, as always :)
    Really had an awesome day with you and we should seriously make it a regular thing. Hopefully next time we could try out some day spas?
    Mwah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ray! We can definitely plan a spa day! :) xoxo Mishtery!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I’m dash of photography, a pinch of book nerd, a hint of hiphop, 1 amateur chef, a generous helping of design and a health nut! Mix well and you get a Mishtery!