Tuesday 22 January 2013

Body Love: What's hair got to do with it?

Read about Maya and her hair in the January edition of SARIE!  
Ah, hair... It’s the one thing that has the potential to produce a satisfying smile or great anxiety!

This past holiday, I decided to throw caution to the water (not the wind) and let loose and have my hair take its natural wavy curl. This is not something I haven’t done before, nor have I taken a photo of myself with this hairstyle. But I did it and it was one of the most liberating experiences! I discovered... I love the texture of my hair and how different I feel when I let it frizz! I felt giddy, free and adventurous! For the first time, my hair experienced holiday fun!

So often we buy into the media’s perception of beauty, and we miss the natural beauty we had when we had it. Who decided that ‘good hair’ is only sleek, shiny and gently dance in behind you in the cool a breeze?

Don’t get me wrong... Everybody loves the Timoty or Pantene girl but we all know that God gave us variety. Imagine a world with just one hair type... All straight or curly? All black or all blonde? That would be unimaginative and bland. We have so much to choose from, we can adopt each other’s style to spice things up! In the mood for a red afro any one?

Have fun and let your hair up, if it doesn't want to go down!

As a little girl, I didn’t have ‘good hair’. Instead I had my 1st relaxer at the age of 10 and developed a sensitive scalp in my early 20’s because of the chemicals shellacked onto my hair in hopes of getting rid of that ‘embarrassing’ ‘kroes’ kurl! This caused my hair to thin, break off, become limp and look unhealthy. The only way I could disguise it was to colour it. I went through a red phase, almost black and even a crazy purple hair... All to conceal the battle so many women face. By the time flatirons entered my life, my hair would go to the great dustpan in the corner after a few beautifying strokes. It would be ‘unminceable’ but at the end of the day, a broken off, oily mess.

Lately a beautiful revival is happening. Women are embracing their natural hair and expressing themselves through their locks. I posted my wavy locks on Facebook and had an awesome response to it. I called it my holiday hair! This inspired me to asked my fb ladies to send me pics of themselves having fun with their hair and motivate why they do their hair the way they do! This was so much fun, I am going to do a follow up! Enjoy their comments and let your hair down... Or put it up or straighten it, as long as you are tickled by it!

#BodyLove ,
Mishtery



Change is as good as hair holiday
"Changing my hair is something I do for fun from time to time, and judging by the exclamations of mostly colleagues, I've made some bold moves. Recently I was platinum blonde and for a short while after that candy floss pink. Some people found that extreme, but compared to what one sees on style blogs it was tame! And I keep getting different cuts, but the main priority is that I need to be able to style it at home in no more than 7 minutes. I like experimenting with my hair. It's like playing dress-up, and if it goes wrong that's not too bad ... Hair grows! Plus, you get to change your mind often, which makes it much simpler than getting a tattoo or piercings." ~ Maya Fowler, Digital Editor at Sarie, Author

Love makes her curls go wild
"I feel free, relaxed and it's a bonus that I don't have to worry if my hair is gona mince in the summer heat. :) " ~ Alicia Pietersen, wife, publicity

Joyful student curls on holiday
"I feel relaxed and comfortable because I am ALL natural! Besides, I know some people envy my 'woes-kroes' tresses!" ~
Lindy Witbooi-Anthony, wife and varsity student

For the love of holidays 
My curls adds zest to my life and is a great time saver when I have one too many events to attend during a busy festive time. ~ Geraldine Young, mother, receptionist, lover of life!





2 comments:

  1. hey mish

    i totally love this piece this was so me for the last few years flat ironing and colouring just to cover up unhealthy hair. finally this pass december i just said enough is enough i am not my hair and is so not defined by it proud to say i have been flat iron free and embrassing the kink in my hair :)

    :)
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patricia! You are definitely not your hair. You are so much more. It is quite amazing how liberating it is just to let loose and enjoy the kink! :) With that said, if you want to make a change to your hair, do it for yourself and not because of social pressure or because of the media's influence. Have fun! BodyLove!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I’m dash of photography, a pinch of book nerd, a hint of hiphop, 1 amateur chef, a generous helping of design and a health nut! Mix well and you get a Mishtery!